Freckles Arrival

Freckles Arrival

Saturday, February 5, 2011

What were we thinking?

What were we thinking?  I ask myself that a lot in the weeks that are leading up to the arrival of our new foster dog.  We must be crazy.  I mean, we already have four dogs-the most recent being Angel, our "failed" foster from about six months ago.  We failed because we kept her, so it was still ultimately a happy ending. 

I guess a lot of things led up to my husband Gary and me deciding to foster a dog for Beagle Rescue League (BRL).  We were volunteers for them before they split from their original charter and we really like the way the rescue operates.  We were initially drawn to them out of our love for dogs in general, and our like of beagles in particular.  Once we learned of their work to re-home laboratory retiree beagles, we were hooked.  What could be better than helping these dogs that do so much for human kind into loving homes for the rest of their days?  We have now adopted three laboratory retirees (Coley, Cooper and Fe), and I can tell you first-hand that the answer is: nothing.  Seeing these dogs learn about the outside world is an incredible experience.  They have never seen grass or trees or sunshine.  They have never had treats or seen other animals (except other beagles!). 

I gotta say, I'm a little nervous here!  FIVE dogs.  Five is a big number.  We have busy lives.  Gary and I both work over an hour from where we live and have very demanding jobs...and then there are the horses.  Did I mention we have two horses?  Yes.  Two...plus Five....big numbers here.  So why are we doing this?  I guess sometimes things are more imortant than they are inconvenient.  BRL was there for Gary and me when we went through an incredibly rough time.  In a way, they saved our marriage through these wonderful dogs they provided us.  Now it's our turn to step up.  The rescue is in need.  Eleven dogs are ready to retire from a laboratory with nowhere to go and BRL lost all of their funds when they split from the charter.  Eleven...that's a really big number.  It makes Five plus Two look kinda small.

I always regretted that we never really journaled the experiences Coley, Cooper, Fe and Angel when we adopted them, so here we go: Random Five year old Female Laboratory Retiree Beagle (Kowalski Dog # Five) will be coming our way very shortly and I plan on documenting her journey here as I repeat my mantra "Five plus Two is NOT a really big number...Five plus Two is NOT a really big number..."  Please say a prayer for us!

2 comments:

  1. 5+2 is possible with 2 adults who work an hour away from home if Dora+8 can be cared for by 1 adult who works an hour away from home. :) Your hesitation is appropriate and understandable, but so is your commitment to doing it. I hope it turns into a rewarding experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can do it Chrissa! You are strong and determined and I know that you'll pull through. And just so you know, your story is very inspiring and I hope that one day when I'm older I'll be able to be as kind and giving as you. =)
    Love you lots, and miss you!,
    Pam-ish

    ReplyDelete