Freckles Arrival

Freckles Arrival

Monday, February 28, 2011

Freckles is here! Day 1

Thursday evening, Gary made let long drive down to PA to pick up Freckles after work. I was starting to get sick and I had a feeling Gary was too, but none the less we were very excited for Freckles arrival.  Cole was our original laboratory retiree and he was the only one that we had gotten directly from the lab, rather than from a previous foster home, so I wondered what to expect.

Gary finally arrived home and let Freckles out in the yard to have a sniff around and get her barings.  She's so small!  Not what I expected.  She has tiny dainty features and big soft brown eyes.  In typical lab dog fashion, when you put her down, she takes a submissive posture and looks at you as if to say "pick me up, please!"  I knew that if we let the dogs meet her right away, they would all be very appropriate.  They actually tend to ignore newcomers.  I was worried that if we left her behind the baby gate, they would continue to bark at her.  We decided to let Freckles decide.  We put her down in the kitchen and she went right up to the barking crew behind the gate in a attempt to meet, so I let Cooper and Angel in with her and they were all fine together.  Then I allowed Coley and Fe to enter.  It was all very anticlimactic.

Freckles spent the next 20 minutes sniffing around and getting the lay of the land.  The changes in her 4.5 year long little life are monumental.  They finally overwealmed her.  She made her way to the pink tufted bed in Fe's crate and cuddled the tiniest ball she could manage, then she slept through the night.  I peeked in on her.  Poor little girl!  She was so unsure of everything. I wished that I could explain to her how much better life would become now.  Instead,  I just whispered "Welcome, little sweetheart!"  and turned off the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment